Most Read FAQs
From the webpart or from the contextual menu of any document
If BusinessGuest has been activated on your SharePoint site and if you were granted the permissions to use it, you may use it.
- To share any file from the site’s document libraries, or
- To start conversations with internal and external participants from the BusinessGuest Web Part
To share any document with internal & external participants and track their feedback and updates:
- From the site’s document libraries select the “Share with BusinessGuest…” option in the file’s contextual menu. This will open a popup dialog to let you select the recipients, type a message and share the file and message. The new conversation will be associated to the document. You may retrieve all conversations linked to a document in a new column Conversations of the document library.
- From the BusinessGuest page or Web Part, in the first tab, select the document(s) you want to share from a library or on your local computer, select the recipients and type a message. If you select SharePoint documents, the conversation will be linked to them in the Conversations column.
To send a message and track replies and attachment, use the second tab of the BusinessGuest Web Part, “Send a Message”. Just type the message and select recipients.
To retrieve all conversations, including feedback from the internal or external participants, go to the BusinessGuest page of the site, or add the BusinessGuest Web Part to any of the pages.
It’s in your e-mail. To reply, just reply to the e-mail…
Were you invited to a BusinessGuest conversation by one of your customers or partners?
If so, using it is as simple as reading and replying to the email you received. If your partner shared a file with you, the file is attached to the email. If it is a large file, it was replaced by a download link. Just click on the click to retrieve the file.
By replying to the message, you reply to your partner and ensure their collaboration process runs smoothly because your reply will be elegantly added to her own collaboration platform.
If you attach files to your reply, these files will also be received by your partner. Depending on her configuration, the files will also be added to her collaboration platform, in order to make sure everybody in the project has the same level of information.
Do you need to follow SharePoint interactions on your mobile? Or do you want to set up a mobile exchange area with notifications and a dedicated app to communicate with your external partners? BusinessGuest users can now benefit from the award-winning InsideOut Solution for Mobile SharePoint Collaboration! And even the BusinessGuest external users will be able to keep in touch with you from their mobile devices!
E-mail exchanges and a sharing area to transfer large files
BusinessGuest consists in 3 major pieces:
- A SharePoint Solution Package that can be enabled on any SharePoint site, and that sends the files or messages to the BusinessGuest Cloud service when internal users share them using BusinessGuest.
- A Sharing Area Service, deployed in the DMZ or used from the Cloud, that can receive, store and send documents or messages received from SharePoint, and track the replies and feedback back to SharePoint through the BusinessGuest SharePoint package. There is never any network connection initiated from the sharing area to SharePoint, only outbound connections from SharePoint to the sharing area.
- A powerful e-mail and mobile gateway technology that the sharing area uses to send files and messages to the BusinessGuest (and internal for that matter) users and track when they open, download or reply. This technology works with most e-mail applications and does not require any installation of software on the client side.
All communications are encrypted and files and data can be deleted from the sharing area at any time.
The most secure and reliable way to collaborate with external people without exposing SharePoint to the Internet
BusinessGuest is the most secure way to collaborate with external people from SharePoint without exposing your data to the Internet.
With BusinessGuest, only the data you share from SharePoint gets shared with the outside, and their use and the feedback your receive is tracked automatically. Did they read it? Did they download the documents? Did they reply? BusinessGuest tells you in real time!
- Everything is tracked and made visible in SharePoint, so you know what happens with your data
- All communications between SharePoint and the Cloud service are encrypted with 256 bits SSL v3
- Large file downloads from the BusinessGuest users are encrypted the same way
- You can remove data from the service just by deleting the BusinessGuest conversation from SharePoint
- You can configure BusinessGuest to automatically delete the shared documents after a while, so that they stay only inside of your organization
- Our Cloud services are hosted on Amazon Web Services and secured by our highly experienced team of professionals
- We provide 24×7 support and recovery services
SharePoint 2010 or 2013 Foundation or higher on premise, SSL Connectivity to the sharing area (in your DMZ or in the cloud)
- SharePoint Version: BusinessGuest works with SharePoint 2010 On premise (Foundation, Server and Enterprise versions) and SharePoint 2013 On premise (through a WSP package). A SharePoint 2013 Online App will be available soon for online deployment!
- SharePoint Authentication: Internal SharePoint users can authenticate using Windows or Claims authentication but only one authentication mechanism must be used at a time on the SharePoint farm. No SharePoint authentication required for external users (BusinessGuest users).
- Network Connectivity: Although BusinessGuest allows to work with external people and to let them publish contents in your SharePoint site (the way you let them do it), there is no need for any inbound connectivity from the outside to your SharePoint servers! The only connectivity requirement is to let your SharePoint servers initiate outbound encrypted TCP/IP connections to your DMZ if you deploy you own on-premise sharing area, or to our cloud web services: host cloud.business-guest.com on port 443.
- Email Server: BusinessGuest uses email exchanges to send SharePoint information and documents to external partners and to receive their feedback and track it on SharePoint. However, it is our own Email systems that are used to manage these exchanges. Therefore the only requirement on your email systems is to be able to send and receive emails to and from @business-guest.com addresses.
BusinessGuest will automatically detect your network proxy configuration and use your proxy to connect from SharePoint to the sharing area.
BusinessGuest is useful every time you use SharePoint internally and need to exchange files and messages with external people. Here are some real life examples of business cases where BusinessGuest can be used at great benefit:
- In Construction: for sharing plans and project documents with customers and contractors and receiving feedback in an orderly and traceable way.
- In Banking & Financial Services: use BusinessGuest to easily send contracts to customers, track their downloads and their changes, and engage a conversation with customers until the deal is closed.
- In Education: for sharing teaching materials with contractors and exchanging about them with students or groups of students.
- In the Public Sector: to regroup people from several agencies or public services quickly for working on a particular project such as an outdoor event.
- For Procurement: for sending contracts and bid data to suppliers and managing the bidding process and Q&As directly from SharePoint.
- For Sales & Marketing: for sending product and contract information to customers and other partners, then gather and track updates and feedback while keeping everyone in the loop, including external people.
- Even internally: even within the same company, it is not always straightforward to regroup all the team members of an horizontal workgroup or project in the same SharePoint site. Sometimes distinct departments each have their own SharePoint environment, or several subsidies don’t share the same Active Directory or SharePoint environments. BusinessGuest allows you to easily and quickly build a bridge between the team members even if they use distinct SharePoint sites.
- And so on, and so on… almost any modern collaboration use case is an opportunity for BusinessGuest to simplify, accelerate and strengthen the exchanges between people in a distributed team.
There are 3 possible implementations of BusinessGuest with regards to Cloud vs. On-Premise architecture:
- SharePoint On-premise, Sharing area on-premise: Please Contact us to order the sharing area package that can be deployed in your DMZ, on your own network. No cloud at all, you control everything.
- SharePoint On-premise, Sharing area in the cloud: Simply Contact us to receive the package to deploy on your SharePoint farm.
- SharePoint in the cloud, Sharing area in the cloud: A SharePoint 2013 App for SharePoint online is coming soon to the App marketplace. Stay tuned!
Just register on this site and download the setup package
Getting BusinessGuest is as easy as Contacting us for a free 30 day trial. After registering you will receive a license activation key that will let you activate BusinessGuest on a SharePoint site collection and BusinessGuest on any of the sites. The first time, you will need to install a SharePoint WSP Solution Package on the SharePoint Farm (by running a setup program that you will be able to download after registration). Once the solution package is deployed on SharePoint, BusinessGuest can be activated on site collections. You can use a global license set up at the time of deployment, or business users may purchase local licenses to activate their own site collection without requiring the IT to purchase a global license.