BusinessGuest for SharePoint Architecture, Setup & Configuration
Calinda solution’s UI can be very easily customized:
- Visual customization: through CSS add-on extensions
- Layout customization: through HTML templates extensions
To customize the user experience (UX):
- Custom extensions make everything possible!
And of course, security is always enforced at the server level, making it safe to add customizations without compromising the confidentiality and stability of the system.
There are 3 possible implementations of BusinessGuest with regards to Cloud vs. On-Premise architecture:
- SharePoint On-premise, Sharing area on-premise: Please Contact us to order the sharing area package that can be deployed in your DMZ, on your own network. No cloud at all, you control everything.
- SharePoint On-premise, Sharing area in the cloud: Simply Contact us to receive the package to deploy on your SharePoint farm.
- SharePoint in the cloud, Sharing area in the cloud: A SharePoint 2013 App for SharePoint online is coming soon to the App marketplace. Stay tuned!
BusinessGuest will automatically detect your network proxy configuration and use your proxy to connect from SharePoint to the sharing area.
SharePoint 2010 or 2013 Foundation or higher on premise, SSL Connectivity to the sharing area (in your DMZ or in the cloud)
- SharePoint Version: BusinessGuest works with SharePoint 2010 On premise (Foundation, Server and Enterprise versions) and SharePoint 2013 On premise (through a WSP package). A SharePoint 2013 Online App will be available soon for online deployment!
- SharePoint Authentication: Internal SharePoint users can authenticate using Windows or Claims authentication but only one authentication mechanism must be used at a time on the SharePoint farm. No SharePoint authentication required for external users (BusinessGuest users).
- Network Connectivity: Although BusinessGuest allows to work with external people and to let them publish contents in your SharePoint site (the way you let them do it), there is no need for any inbound connectivity from the outside to your SharePoint servers! The only connectivity requirement is to let your SharePoint servers initiate outbound encrypted TCP/IP connections to your DMZ if you deploy you own on-premise sharing area, or to our cloud web services: host cloud.business-guest.com on port 443.
- Email Server: BusinessGuest uses email exchanges to send SharePoint information and documents to external partners and to receive their feedback and track it on SharePoint. However, it is our own Email systems that are used to manage these exchanges. Therefore the only requirement on your email systems is to be able to send and receive emails to and from @business-guest.com addresses.
The most secure and reliable way to collaborate with external people without exposing SharePoint to the Internet
BusinessGuest is the most secure way to collaborate with external people from SharePoint without exposing your data to the Internet.
With BusinessGuest, only the data you share from SharePoint gets shared with the outside, and their use and the feedback your receive is tracked automatically. Did they read it? Did they download the documents? Did they reply? BusinessGuest tells you in real time!
- Everything is tracked and made visible in SharePoint, so you know what happens with your data
- All communications between SharePoint and the Cloud service are encrypted with 256 bits SSL v3
- Large file downloads from the BusinessGuest users are encrypted the same way
- You can remove data from the service just by deleting the BusinessGuest conversation from SharePoint
- You can configure BusinessGuest to automatically delete the shared documents after a while, so that they stay only inside of your organization
- Our Cloud services are hosted on Amazon Web Services and secured by our highly experienced team of professionals
- We provide 24×7 support and recovery services
E-mail exchanges and a sharing area to transfer large files
BusinessGuest consists in 3 major pieces:
- A SharePoint Solution Package that can be enabled on any SharePoint site, and that sends the files or messages to the BusinessGuest Cloud service when internal users share them using BusinessGuest.
- A Sharing Area Service, deployed in the DMZ or used from the Cloud, that can receive, store and send documents or messages received from SharePoint, and track the replies and feedback back to SharePoint through the BusinessGuest SharePoint package. There is never any network connection initiated from the sharing area to SharePoint, only outbound connections from SharePoint to the sharing area.
- A powerful e-mail and mobile gateway technology that the sharing area uses to send files and messages to the BusinessGuest (and internal for that matter) users and track when they open, download or reply. This technology works with most e-mail applications and does not require any installation of software on the client side.
All communications are encrypted and files and data can be deleted from the sharing area at any time.
Add the BusinessGuest webpart to your site and follow the guide
To activate BusinessGuest on one of your SharePoint sites:
- Connect to the site as a site owner
- Then either deploy the BusinessGuest webpart or click on the Activate BusinessGuest button on the ribbon. If you cannot find it, this means that:
- the BusinessGuest Solution Package is not installed on your SharePoint environment
- Or, it is not deployed on your Web Application
- Or, the BusinessGuest feature is not activated in your Site Collection
In this case, ask your IT department to deploy it and activate it, by sending the setup program you downloaded when signing up to BusinessGuest to them, and then try again.
- Follow the activation steps:
- Activate BusinessGuest on your site. If needed, specify the license your are using (a global license or a site collection local license).
- Predefine the BusinessGuest external users that you want to make available for interacting from this site. Also define whether other users can add new BusinessGuests on-the-fly.
- Select the internal users that are allowed to use BusinessGuest to interact in this site.
- Define the way you want to use SharePoint document libraries to track documents people attach to their messages during the interactions (Do not track them in document libraries, Track only updated documents, or Track all documents, either as an update in their source document library or as a new document in a default document library)
- You’re done! Now you can use BusinessGuest to share documents or send messages, internally or with external partners:
- from the BusinessGuest page (accessible from the quick launch menu), or
- from the BusinessGuest Extranet Web Part, or
- by choosing the “Share with BusinessGuest…” option on any document in the site’s document libraries.
Run the setup program on one of the farm’s SharePoint servers
When signing up for a BusinessGuest plan, you downloaded the setup.exe for the SharePoint solution. To deploy the solution package, run the setup.exeon one of your SharePoint farm’s application servers (preferably the server that hosts the Farm’s Central Administration Service).
Global vs Local License: when you deploy BusinessGuest on the farm, either you purchased a global license for the whole farm, or you deploy a free but limited version of the package. The global license is included in the setup program file and will be read automatically by the setup program. In both cases, business users have the ability to purchase local licenses for their Site Collections.
BusinessGuest On-Premise Deployment: The BusinessGuest solution you get from this site can be deployed on SharePoint On-premise, but relies on our Cloud service to manage the communication with the BusinessGuest external users (e.g. to replace large attachment by secure download links). Your SharePoint farm stays on your Intranet and behind the firewall but communicates the elements internal users shared with BusinessGuest users to our secure Cloud service. In case you want to deploy a 100% on-premise instance of BusinessGuest, it is possible, but please contact us as different conditions and pricing apply.
Just register on this site and download the setup package
Getting BusinessGuest is as easy as Contacting us for a free 30 day trial. After registering you will receive a license activation key that will let you activate BusinessGuest on a SharePoint site collection and BusinessGuest on any of the sites. The first time, you will need to install a SharePoint WSP Solution Package on the SharePoint Farm (by running a setup program that you will be able to download after registration). Once the solution package is deployed on SharePoint, BusinessGuest can be activated on site collections. You can use a global license set up at the time of deployment, or business users may purchase local licenses to activate their own site collection without requiring the IT to purchase a global license.